Dopamine is a chemical that forms in the brain. You might have heard of it in association with Parkinson’s disease, or its use in hospitals to treat symptoms of shock. Dopamine is involved in a number of activities in the brain and its component parts. While it is doing its part on the inside of our bodies, it also helps us with some external rewards. Dopamine is a natural motivator.
I don’t know about you, but I love productivity. Have you ever had the thought that you could really accomplish some things if you only had your best buddy to call you every day and give you that motivational speech or nudge? Well, don’t totally give up on that idea. We may be able to create some motivation for ourselves by increasing our dopamine levels. Great news right? When I can find ways to be at my best that are natural and beneficial to my health, I’m all for it.
Here are some ways to increase your dopamine levels:
- Keep your brain active. Research something you’ve been curious about. Play a game that you think is challenging. Do the math in your head before defaulting to the calculator.
- Eat your way to motivation by eating foods with Tyrosine. Tyrosine is an amino acid that helps build dopamine. Foods that I enjoy that have tyrosine include yogurt, milk, eggs, bananas, and green tea. Plan your meals and integrate these foods into your routine.
- Exercise! You can never go wrong with exercise. The more you do it throughout the day, the more you can benefit from bursts of dopamine. Quick squats, wall push-ups, high knees, chair dips, arm circles, and bends can even be done in 3 minute sets while at work. Take 3 minutes away from your desk and get motivated by creating more dopamine.
- Be creative. When you are in your zone, dopamine is flowing to help you focus and create. Schedule intentional time to engage your creativity with arts & crafts, mind mapping ideas, or tracing business processes.
- Reflect. Be still, but keep your mind working. Dopamine will reward you with its presence while you do some mental sorting and self-reflection. Consider your goals, the steps you are taking, and the rewards that connect with your effort. Think of your vision with vivid pictures, and stimulate your mind.
- Eat Yogurt. Lessen bad bacteria, called endotoxins. Endotoxins stop dopamine production. An easy way to achieve this is to have more good bacteria in your gut. You can achieve this by eating more yogurt containing active cultures.
Today and every day, your task is to be the best you can be. Your becoming results in achievement. I have provided you with natural motivation to get you started—a buddy that you can call on with a thought, intentional movements, mental habits, and considerate eating. There is no price to pay, just benefits to gain. Keep the dopamine flowing, and keep producing greatness!
[Taunya is nurse, author, and a three-year homeschool veteran. She is currently working on two books, the 3rd in the Brady Boe series, and Truth–the first in the End Time Saga Trilogy. #ReadTSW at taunyasBnB.com]